Are You Being Called By Winn Law Group*? Here’s What You Need to Know
Is your life being made difficult by a debt collector? You’re not the only one. Literally thousands of Americans have at least one debt in collections. While a collection agency may legally contact you to make payment arrangements or discuss your situation, they may not behave in an unethical manner. The problem is that too many of them disregard this rule.
Your Rights Under the FDCPA
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is committed to protecting consumers like yourself from predatory debt collectors. When a collection agency mistreats you by subjecting you to the following pressure tactics, the FDCPA gives you the right to sue.
- Calling your payroll department at work and saying that garnishment paperwork is en route
- Chasing you for debts that are too old to legally collect
- Communicating on letterhead that makes the sender appear to be an attorney
- Calling you before 8:00 a.m. and after 9:0 p.m. in your time zone
- Leaving vague voice messages that do not identify them as debt collectors
- Threatening to ruin your credit if you don’t pay.
Company Profile: Winn Law Group
If you are being called by Winn Law Group, here are some additional office details.
Winn Law Group is a debt collection law office located in Fullerton, California. It opened for business in 1992, has 27 employees, and is managed by its President, Brian N. Winn. Records retained at the PACER website indicate that consumers who believed that they were being harassed by Winn Law Group chose to litigate instead of pay.
Alleged Violations against Winn Law Group**
According to information on the PACER website, in or around 2010, Winn Law Group tried to collect a debt by sending collection letters to a California consumer. He alleged that the firm threatened to file a lawsuit against him, but no action was ever filed.
Feeling harassed by Winn Law Group, the consumer filed an FDCPA lawsuit against the firm for:
- Using harassing and abusive means to collect a debt
- Using false, deceptive, and misleading means to collect a debt
- Threatening legal action it has no intention of taking
The matter was later dismissed.
Hire a Consumer Lawyer
The phone numbers for this debt collection law office are:
Any time these numbers appear on your caller ID, it is confirmation that you are being called by Winn Law Group. If they try to alarm you into paying by threatening legal action they have no intention of taking, hire a consumer lawyer and file a claim against Winn Law Group. You could be awarded damages of $1,000 per FDCPA violation in addition to court costs and attorney fees, so act on your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
**Case taken from PACER (pacer.gov). File number is Case 2:10-cv-03654-VBF-MAN from the United States District Court for the Central District of California, Santa Ana Divisional Office.
*Disclaimer: The content of this article serves only to provide information and should not be constructed as legal advice. If you file a claim against Winn Law Group or any other third-party collection agency, you may not be entitled to any compensation.
- Debt Collector Sent a Notice of Debt?
- How to Stop a Debt Collector from Threatening Legal Action